Sunday, April 25, 2010

Candy Barrel Cake

I've seen this type of cake on many websites and was happy to finally make one. It's supposed to look like a barrel of candy. I made it for my sister's birthday party yesterday. She's been craving brownies so I used brownies for this "cake."

I haven't been able to make brownies from scratch that taste as good as this one. It's my absolute favorite brownie. I always buy the box from Costco because it make SIX batches. oh, I love brownies!

I needed to use less batter in the 8 inch pans because I wanted my 2 layer brownie cake to be shorter than the Kit Kat bars. So I thought I would take out some batter and make a tiny candy barrel cake also. I used two bags of brownie mix and took out 1/3 cup of the batter for each of my 4 inch pans. Unfortunately I ran out of candy after making the big cake, so my husband gladly ate the brownies meant for the tiny cake.

I had M&M's left over from Easter. I thought I had enough to cover the top of the cake to give it the illusion of it being a barrel full of M&M's, but I did not. I did not feel like making a trip to the store just to buy more. I had to use some mini M&M's and some peanut M&M's, which I already had, to fill in the holes. But I wish i had another handful or so of M&M's because the top still wasn't completely covered.

I put a thin layer of icing in between the 2 layers and around the cake. I tried to make it as thin as possible because the brownies are really rich and sweet. But you can't skip the icing, it's needed to hold the candies in place.






here's a little animated gif I made of me putting the candies on. This was a fun cake to make. next time i think i'll make a few tiny ones with my 4 inch pans.

9 comments:

sunshine said...

It was unique and very rich and yummy. The video is not working. :(

maybe strawberry said...

thank you! and i just fixed the gif.

amy & lisa said...

Looks so yummy!!

sunshine said...

Cool video!

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

That's my favorite brownie mix, too! It looks yummy and fun!

Mama Bear said...

Looks fabulous!!! Gotta try out that brownie mix.

tiffany said...

it was fantastic! thats my favorite brownie mix too. ghiradelli chips are my favorite to bake with too.

kimbalaya said...

Very cute! You did a great job.

Do you like chewy brownies, or cake-like brownies? I found a recipe online that I love for chewy brownies. You could use high quality cocoa, maybe that would get it to taste as good as the box.

This is the recipe I use: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Chewy-Chocolaty-Brownies-235379

maybe strawberry said...

thank you Kim! i will try it next time because i love chewy brownies

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails